When it comes to certain works like heavy duty sharpening, grinding, polishing among others, using crude and manual methods is a daunting job that has, over time, proven challenging and time-wasting.
The invention of bench grinders was the best idea one could ever imagine. It comes as a rescue and facilitates fast works not to mention its versatility; it can be adapted to carry out certain jobs in your workshop.
Best Bench Grinder 2023
|Metabo DS 200 Editor Choice||3570||240||quiet||1 year|
|Sunex 5002A||3450||115||quiet||2 year|
|JET JBG-8A||3450||115||heavy-duty||1 year|
|SKIL 3380-01||3450||120||quiet||2 year|
|WEN 4276||3450||120||work light||1 year|
|POWERTEC BGSS801||3450||120||Slow Speed Grinder||1 year|
|TruePower 199 Mini||0-10000||110||variable-speed||1 year|
|Delta Power Tools 23-197||2000-3400||120||variable-speed||1 year|
|Porter-Cable PCB525BG||2000-3400||120||variable-speed||1 year|
|Genesis GBG800L||3550||120||heavy-duty||2 year|
We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers, and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer.
10. Genesis GBG800L – Highly stable grinder
The last bench grinder on our list is Genesis GBG800L; another unique tool that has been made with your sharpening needs in mind. It sports a relatively silent motor allowing for smooth operations as it leads to the production of fewer vibrations.
It has adjustable gooseneck lamps that render it ideal for low lighting works.Genesis grinder sits on a firm and durable base that is constructed from cast iron. This allows for stability during the sharpening or grinding operation.
- The Genesis 8 in Grinder includes a 36 grit and 60 grit wheel and light bulbs
- It is a heavy-duty bench grinder; suitable for many projects at home or in the industry
- It has a durable construction
- It is highly appreciated for its stability
- It has minimal vibrations and is best for smooth operations
- Two Flexible Gooseneck lights illuminate your workspace for safety
- A Predrilled Heavy Duty Cast Iron Base allows you to secure the grinder to your workbench with ease
- Although it is suitable for heavy-duty projects, its motor isn’t that strong
- Setting it up for the first time might be a little tricky for amateurs
- Over time, the wheels get wobbly
- Powerful - 1/2 HP Induction Motor for Quiet, Smooth Performance | ½ HP for sharpening blades, chisels, and other grindingsharpening applications
- Safe - Two Flexible Goose neck Lights, Adjustable Tool Rests, and Eye Shields | Protect your eyes and keep the work safety positioned for your next project!
- Great for the shop _ Pre drilled Heavy Duty Cast iron base with Rubber Feet for Bench top or stand use | Setup on the bench or bolt to a stand to save bench top space for your next project!
- Equipped - Includes (1) 36G Wheel, (1) 60G Wheel and Light Bulbs
- Support – US Based Warranty Support with a 2 Year Warranty | Genesis Customer Support is based in South Carolina!
9. Porter-Cable PCB525BG 6” – Best Variable Speed Bench Grinder
Porter-Cable features a powerful 2.5-amp ball bearing induction motor that delivers variable speeds 2,000 to 3,400 RPM. This is one of the best variable speed bench grinders that can handle any task put before it.
It comes with wheels for both medium and coarse grinding both with a 0.75-inch width. It is equipped with an on/off switch, which is easily located and operated even in the dark, thanks to the its lamp, which apparently needs a 40-watts bulb to work.
Its gooseneck lamp is also equipped with amazing adjustability features. It has the same variable speeds like the Delta Tools, which allows it to operate on various projects: large or small. It has tool rests that are highly adjustable and are built from aluminum casts.
- Removable cooling tray for overheating prevention
- Has a great performance
- Highly recommended for tool sharpening
- Its build is durable
- 3 year limited warranty
- The wheels tend to get wobbly
- It doesn’t have a means locking the shaft to enable one to change its wheels
- Sharpen, shape or grind wide variety of materials with the variable speed range of 2,000 to 3,400 RPM
- Cast Iron base for added stability and reduced vibration during operation, mounting holes for bench or stand
- Adjustable die-cast aluminum tool rests, with groove for easy drill bit sharpening
- Adjustable 40-watt lamp for better illumination of work area (bulb not included), independent on/off switch
- Includes: (1) 36 Grit coarse 3/4" wide wheel, (1) 60 Grit Medium 3/4" wide wheel, wheel dresser, removable quench cooling tray
8. Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch – Best Heavy-Duty and Home Use Grinder
Coming from one of the best reputable companies for workshops products, the Delta Power Tools is one of the best bench grinders with great durability and a strong build.
It features a rugged structure with an appealing design that makes it suitable for amazing performance without much trouble. It is equipped with speed variability that lets you adjust the speed from 2000 to 3400 RPM.
It has tool rests with milled slots on them. It is ideal for sharpening drill bits and lathe materials because of its variable speed capability. With positive reviews on the internet, it is a clear indication that this tool meets a user’s expectation.
- Variable speed control offering you convenience
- It is ideal for both home use and heavy-duty grinding or sharpening
- With its features, it comes with a surprisingly great value
- It is stable and produces fewer vibrations
- It is strong and highly durable
- Comes with a water cup for cooling the material being ground or sharpened
- Its operation is noisier if you compare with other bench grinders
- Some users have reported poor quality of the clamping washer
- Like other bench grinders, its wheels get wobbly at times
- Variable speed control offering you convenience and versatility in your grinding, sharpening, buffing and polishing operations
- Upfront variable speed dial allows you to easily control speeds from 2,000 RPM to 3,400 RPM
- Features a 5 Amp induction-type motor for powerful performance
- Incorporates 36 and 60 Grit Wheels for sharpening and grinding
- The left hand tool rest has a drill bit rest milled into the surface so you'll get the correct angle on the tip at all times
- Two piece tool rests are independently adjustable to compensate for wheel wear and to achieve different angles
- Water tray to help keep workpiece cool while grinding
- Work light with a separate on/off switch and flexible goose neck provides illumination for set up and while grinding
- Cast iron base for durability and reduces vibration during operation
7. TruePower 199 Mini – Best Multipurpose Bench Grinder
Coming with a 150-watt speed motor, TruePower mini is a tool unlike many other mini-grinders on the market. It is versatile and is designed to handle almost all types of grinding materials. It boasts a unique speed regulator that can adjust to speeds of up to an impressive 10 000 RPM!
It comes with a grinding wheel, a 31-inch flex shaft for customizations even in the most awkward positions and a polishing wheel made of fiber. In the case of flying bits of ground material and should the grinding wheel crack, for your safety, TruePower 199 Mini comes with a safety guard, which will always keep you safe.
- It is versatile and comes with a variable speed control ability
- It is highly durable
- Lightweight and highly portable
- Comes with a fiber polishing wheel
- A 3 inch of grinding wheel is also available
- Highly inappropriate for heavy duty projects
- Some users find it difficult to set it up on a stable platform
TruePower 199 Mini Multi Purpose Bench Grinder and Polisher with Flexible Shaft, Tool Rest and Safety Guard, 3-Inch
- Powerful 150W high-speed motor rated at 110 volts, 60 hertz
- Variable speed control from 0 to 10, 000 RPM
- Includes: 31" flex shaft attachment, 3'' grinding wheel & 3'' fiber polishing wheel
6. POWERTEC BGSS801 – Best sharpening and light grinding tool
The uniqueness of this bench grinder is one that makes it the ideal tool for your workshop. It in an 8-inch grinder with low speeds that can regulate the overheating tendency of materials being ground.
It has a relatively powerful motor that operates smoothly with little noise unlike other bench grinders with almost the same specifications.
Have I mentioned that its wheels are only an inch wide? Coupled with the inch-wide wheels, it comes with two wheels of 120 grit and 60 grit which are made of white aluminum oxide that reduces the heat production and overproduction during the grinding process.
- It has an amazing look with great polish and construction that makes it very durable
- It produces fewer vibrations and operates smoothly with little noise
- It regulates the exposure of materials to heat
- Has an inch-wide wheels
- It is the best for sharpening and grinding lightweight materials
- When it comes to industrial or heavy-duty use, it is not the ideal grinding tool
- Some units come with wobbly and flimsy wheels
- Cool running 1725 RPM is designed to save tools from overheating
- Quiet 1/2HP motor provides long-lasting and smooth performance
- White aluminum oxide wheels produce less heat
- 1-Inch wide wheels make grinding easier
- Heavy gauge steel base reduces vibration and improves stability during operation
5. WEN 4276 6-Inch – Best for Home Use
This product comes with features so amazing that they will impress you from the first day of use. It runs highly efficiently and smoothly like no other bench grinder.
It has hardly noticeable vibrations and is compact and lightweight, which is ideal for anyone looking to buy a reliable bench grinder. It comes with an adjustable lamp light and transparent shields for protection.
The guards and lights also provide close looks to the grinding work and facilitate accuracy. WEN4276 comes with rubber feet to hold it securely in place. However, it is more appropriate to bolt it securely to the surface you are working on, as it is lightweight.
- It comes compacted to maximize its lightweight ability
- It fits in the lot of all cheap bench grinders on the market
- It comes with protection shields and a flex light for vision enhancement
- With its weak vibrations, it has a smooth operation and doesn’t produce much noise
- Grinding large materials is somewhat tricky; it is difficult to use it on heavy duty industrial works
- Bolting it to the tables calls for extra tasks that waste a lot of time
- The motor is relatively weak
- 2.1-Amp motor
- 3450 RPM at no load
- 6 in. by 3/4 in. wheels, 1/2 in. arbor size
- Lightweight design weighs in at 16 lb.Lamp:120V, 40W (Bulb not included)
- Worklight for maximum precision and visibility
4. SKIL 3380-01 6-Inch – Most Versatile Bench Grinder
It is the most popular bench grinder that comes with a relatively small motor, but with amazing suitability for many works in your workshop. If you are looking, therefore, for a grinder that is the most versatile and easy to use, I will recommend SKIL 3380-01.
It is a six-inch tool and comes with two wheels; one for coarse grinding and the other one for medium grinding. Almost all its components can be detached; this makes it very easy when switching or changing its wheels.
- It comes fitted with LED lights and a clear view guard for amazing visual enhancement during work
- It is highly effective in handling small tasks
- It has rubber anti-skid feet for stability during grinding
- Its versatility allows you to work with several materials without too many adjustments to fit them
- It has a tool rest that can be detached and equipped with a different one, to fit different tasks
- For extended uses, the motor is weak
- It is inappropriate for large tools and projects. With almost the same size as your hand motor size, hand and item position will be challenging
- It doesn’t have a cooling system and might overheat
- Medium and coarse wheels for a variety of materials
- 2.1 Amp Motor with 3,450 RPM
- Built-In LED work lights over both wheels
- Adjustable tool rests for accurate grinding
- Rubber feet provides increase stability
3. JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch – Best Heavy-Duty Grinder
You should seriously consider JET 577102 bench grinder if your workshop deals with large and heavy duty grinding. This grinder boasts two wheels powered by an industrial high-grade 1HP motor that produces the most efficient results with utmost precision.
However powerful it is, this tool works with incredible smoothness that is welcome to task performance. It has low vibrations, which makes it easy to use. Its stability is enhanced by non-skid rubber feet and holes for bolting down when necessary.
- Very sturdy with one horse power high-grade motor
- It comes with adjustable eye shields and dust vents for safety
- Its heavy-duty toggle switches are highly guarded
- It is fully enclosed and comes with pre-lubricated ball bearing for efficiency
- The look is appealing and is very powerful
- Despite its amazing stability, its wheels tend to wobble
- It is hefty
- It is among the high price bench grinders on the market
- Variable Grinding: Fine (60-grit) and coarse (36-grit) vitrified grinding wheels
- Long Machine Life: Totally-enclosed pre-lubricated ball bearings
- Built for Durability: Cast iron wheel guards and dust vents
- No Shifting: Rubber mounts prevent movement
- Added Safety: Follows strict guidelines and electrical requirements to meet CSA safety standards
2. Sunex 5002A – Best Price/Best feature Bench Grinder
The most notable feature about this bench grinder is its lightweight. It enhances vision and precision of the work being done.
It has been designed to uphold stability and comes with non-skid rubber feet on top of its aluminum tool rests with a sturdy iron base that reduces vibrations during grinding.
The mounting hole on its base allows for simplicity during setup. Nonetheless, it comes with two wheels; the 36 grit wheel for coarse grinding and another 60 grit wheel for medium or soft grinding. The amazing eye adjustability feature is another thing that makes its operations smooth.
- It has a great value and is worth every penny
- It has a strong base and is stable making it produce even fewer vibrations during grinding
- It is equipped with a flex light that enhances vision and helps one avoid eye stress
- Its powerful motor and a sturdy build elongates its life
- It is versatile and fits various jobs
- The aluminum tool rests get flimsy over time and tend to bend
- It still isn’t the lightest on the market
- The notable disadvantage is its lack of rear exhaust ports; this is an inconvenience to some
- Some users complained about too many vibrations
- Comes with two griding wheels, coarse 36 grit and medium 60 grit
- Built in bright, flexible work light
- Each wheel has protective spark guard and adjustable eye shield
- Cast iron base for durability
- Mounting holes and rubber feet
1. Metabo DS 200 8-Inch – Best for Industrial Use
If you are looking for a reliable bench grinder that will not disappoint you, Metabo DS 200 is my recommendation for you. Though it is designed to fit modern heavyduty works, this product is best for your workshop as well.
Although a bit heavy, it hasn’t been disadvantaged and comes highly efficient. Its setup is easy and can be operated by anyone. It has different color switches to differentiate the power on and off easily.
Despite being a little noise-free, it features an incredible maintenance-free induction motor that produces fewer vibrations during work. For safety precautions and emergencies, Metabo DS comes installed with a dust-protection stop switch.
- It comes highly constructed with an incredible finish and is compacted to occupy less space in your workshop
- It comes with a single-phase powerful motor for large projects without overheating
- Metabo DS is highly durable as it is cast with aluminum all over
- It has easy maintenance compared to other bench grinders
- It is expensive
- Despite its usefulness, it is heavy
- Although it doesn’t overheat, it doesn’t have a cooling system
- No-load speed (RPM): 3,570 and Arbor size: 1"
- Sturdy machine for industrial use and Low-noise and low-vibration, maintenance-free induction motor
- Motor for single phase alternating current
- Robust die-cast aluminum protective covers
- Protective cover bayonet lock for quick and simple disc change
Buyers Guide: What Should You Consider when Buying a Bench Grinder?
As mentioned earlier, buying a bench grinder for some people has never been an easy thing. If the above reviews are still not sufficient to make you arrive at a decision, here is what you should put into consideration before buying one that best suits all your needs.
Who wouldn’t want a product, regardless of its purpose, that is durable? Therefore, this is the first thing to consider. The durability of a bench grinder is determined by the material used to construct it. Some are constructed from aluminum casts while others are steel or iron. These elements have different durability levels. Our list, however, has the best and most durable bench grinders that you might like.
You should note that for durability, every machine needs regular and proper maintenance. Your bench grinder is no exception.
The Grinding Wheel
One size doesn’t fit all. Different bench grinders have different grinding wheels. Before determining what type of grinding wheel you want to purchase, you should perfectly conversant with the kinds of work you will be dealing with. Is it for home use or is it for industrial use?
If it is for home use, you might need a grinder that is portable and is ideal for small and light works. Consequently, for large or industrial projects, you want a grinder that has wheels best suited for heavy purposes and is highly stable.
The motor drives the grinding wheel. You wouldn’t want to by a grinder with a weak motor that will soon die rendering your grinder useless. The size of the motor will also determine the materials it can work with.
Hard materials or large metal calls for a bigger and a powerful grinder as opposed to light projects in your workshop. Light projects will require a less powerful grinder, which saves on energy in the end. In short, this factor also depends on the type of work you’re considering.
Look for a grinder that is simple to use, is highly flexible and versatile for all your needs. If you are looking to work on different projects, perhaps a bench grinder with easy to change wheels, for other uses, should be your choice.
Here, you can also look for a grinder that can be operated even in the dark i.e. the on and off switches should be clearly differentiated. One with a flex light would be ideal as well.
Other attachments that suit your personal preferences should also be considered. For example, eye shields, water trays for cooling and dust collectors should come in handy.
If versatile work is your thing, perhaps you should look into buying a bench grinder that has variable speed settings. This way, you can adjust it to fit various needs, including sharpening or grinding of light or heavy materials.
Time it takes to start
This is one factor many people overlook not knowing that it is important. When you set out to by a bench grinder, it is important that one considers the load speed and its soft start as well. Some grinders, even after stopping, continue spinning for a long time before theystop completely. Similarly, others have a start time that makes you waste precious moments before you begin your work. This is a disadvantage as it is recommended to start working when the grinder has reached full speed. A bench grinder with a soft start that takes a short time to reach full speed is the solution here.
Safety is everyone’s concern. Therefore, this should be on the top of your priorities. Some grinders have the tendency to overheat; this could prove dangerous when handling certain projects. Other protective gears should be worn, like goggles, gloves etc.
Yes, if it is strong, heavy, stable, and has wheels fitted for its support. Most grinders found online tend to be suitable for home use.
Depending on the frequency of its use, regular maintenance by oiling and cleaning is ideal.You should also clean your bench grinder every few months.
Bench grinders tend to get wobbly at times. However, if it shakes abnormally, the wheel might be cracked. Check it and replace it asap.
Attached to the disc is a paper that should tell you the type of grinder you have.
For many people, finding the best bench grinder is a thing that is taken seriously because of its wide usage. Whether it is for sharpening, grinding or polishing, they want it to do the work impeccably. With the many different types of grinders on the market, choosing the best will not only save you the trouble of having to struggle with your work, but it will also make it worth the money you spend on it.
The above reviews serve to help you buy the best bench grinder. Be it the best budget, the unique, the industrial, the all-around grinder, you won’t miss one that caters for all your needs.
Larry Page says
I would like to purchase Bench Grinders,in your store/company i would be happy if you can get back to me again with the prices and dimensions you having available in a moment,and also do you take all types of Credit Cards as your payment required?Kindly get back to me here so that we will work together as one panther. All the best and stay blessed.